THE MAVERICK LIFE

TAKE A RIDE INTO THE MIND OF A LATIN MAVERICK WHO ALWAYS GRABS LIFE BY THE HORNS.....

Thursday, January 22, 2009

TOP TEN MEN I ADMIRE MOST

BARACK OBAMA

For my precious Molly who tagged me with this fine task. Forgive me for only listing 10 men. I just don't have the time for the full 20 darling. BESOS!!
First Black President. Omnipotent character and swagger. A force to be reckoned with. Spanking new leader of the free world. Though I'm still stewing over Hillary's tragic Presidential loss, I must accept what has become the inevitable and embrace this remarkable man.

WANDA WISDOM

For those who don't know who Wanda Wisdom is, all you have to do is drag your pathetic cursor towards your address bar and type in WandaWisdom.com or... you can just click the fucking link. I've never laughed so hard in my life. His videos are entrancing and his podcasts are my definition of knee-slapping hysteria. Love him.

RICHARD PRYOR

Humor is everything to me. I live and breathe comedy. Just ask my sisters and they'll tell you that I, along with my younger sister Lilly, have been a devilish comedy duo since we were knee-high to a grasshopper. Richard Pryor personifies everything that I find humorous and risque. Ripping to shreds anything that is currently out now, Richard was truly ahead of the pack. Lilly and I stand on his shoulders with great pride.


HARMONICA SUNBEAM

Underground "Ballroom Battles" and "Ballroom Dance Clubs" have been around in the gay club scene since the 80's. These men frequent these New York clubs and make a name for themselves by "battling" other drag queens in the center of parque dance floors while swishing and swaying towards a coveted trophy. These bitches get viscious and drama ensues. Youtube Miss Harmonica to witness and understand the fabulousness.



JOHN LEGUIZAMO

To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar etched in stone my love and admiration for John. His one-man Broadway shows caught my attention many years ago and the above mentioned movie completely lassoed me in. A Colombian and Puerto Rican couple reproduced and created one of the most talented hispanic actors in my lifetime.



BILL CLINTON

Bill Clinton popped my voting cherry back in 1992 and I've had a special relationship with Billary ever since. Sweeping away the humongous fucking mess that George Bush senior left behind was no easy task, but Bill (and Hillary) were the original campaigners of CHANGE and cleaned house. Before Barack abused it as his slogan, there were the Clintons. Check back at some of the old campaign footage of Billary in '92 and you will see the multitude of signs and billboards with the word CHANGE. I have fond memories of the 90's and appreciate every law he passed under his tenure. Ground-breaking policies (except for "Don't ask don't tell") and sexual promiscuity kept me glued to my newspaper for years.



DENNY DOHERTY

The Mamas and The Papas. Ahh... the sweet audible heaven of their melodic masterpieces. Denny not only sported one of the most gayest hairstyles to date, he was also the genius behind the arrangement and lyrics of most of their albums. Mamma Cass Elliott (who did not in fact choke on a ham sandwich) had a torrent, mystifying relationship with Denny. Denny however, crossed lines and became smitten with peer band member Michelle Phillips, who was married to John Phillips, who was also a song writer in the band. Drama. I love it.



STEVEN SPIELBERG

Jaws. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. E.T. Schindler's List. I can go on. Cinematic Candy. Much respect.



GEORGE LUCAS

Star Wars. Enough said.



FRANCISCO GOYA

Francisco Goya's art has always captured my third eye and his dark, jarring images are like a pleasant splinter in my psyche. Twisted Spanish genius.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great list bro, love the Obama pic.

4:23 PM  
Blogger molly said...

fantastic list, dear sir!
i love it...thanks so much for continuing the meme, well worth the wait!
you have such great taste, and i have to reiterate how happy i am that youre back!!

6:09 PM  
Blogger WAT said...

Richard Pryor! YES! Greatest stand-up comedian ever!

John Leguizamo! YES YES! His one-man shows are nothing short of brilliant! Yeah, I laughed and laughed years ago when he played that hooker and pseudo-Asian man!

Spielberg is awesome, especially with his more serious movies. Lucas was great at one time, but then he lost his way for me.

Denny Doherty? That is one odd choice, but certainly original. Mama wanted him bad, but I don't think he felt the same way.

GOYA? BUT OF COURSE! One of Spain's all-time greats.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home