THE MAVERICK LIFE

TAKE A RIDE INTO THE MIND OF A LATIN MAVERICK WHO ALWAYS GRABS LIFE BY THE HORNS.....

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

MY UNWAVERING LUST FOR MOVIES...

Have you ever felt a certain lust for a particular movie? Have you ever been enveloped by such a gem that you don't mind psychotically and obsessively watching a film repeatedly... because in doing so, you notice little obscure nuances that you hadn't noticed during the first 20 times you've seen it? The following movies have slithered their way into my psyche and have remained some of the most memorable movies in my crazy-ass film vault. Here they are:


I first watched this movie back in '95 when I was no less than certain that I was a fucked up closeted mess. One foot in the closet and one foot out, this movie came into my life when I needed something, anything, to remind me that what I was feeling deep down inside was not so horrific after all. Beautiful Thing captured my attention and helped me realize that if two young, teenage boys can find true love being themselves, then surely I too can find that special love. British accents and all, this film was the perfect package for my otherwise tormented soul... and you can't go wrong with the exquisite Mama Cass (of The Mommas and the Pappas fame) blaring in the background throughout most of the movie. I loved Mama Cass and found her to be the perfect marriage between music and film.


Kill Bill changed my life. Watching this movie was an event that will be etched in my memory for all time. Uma Thurman has always been at the top of my coveted actress list so it's not shocking to me that I would gravitate towards this wicked gem. The premise behind the movie was heart wrenching and gripping, keeping me immersed from beginning to end. I can flick and pound at my keyboard all night if I had the space and time to display my affection for this movie, but I'll end it with this: Gogo and Black Mamba fuck each other up lusciously. 'Nuff said.


I recall when I began paying attention to a little known director way back when Quentin Tarantino was not yet a water cooler conversation. Reservoir Dogs officially jump started my interest in Tarantino which made me pause and pay close attention to his work. Pulp Fiction was the icing on the cake. Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta (what a Queen) fit one another like gloves and in turn, struck the last nail in my coffin of love for Crazy Quentin. Uma of course, was flawless. No surprise there.


Have you ever seen this movie? Well, this movie sorta changed my life. I'm not exactly quite sure as to HOW this movie altered my life, but I do know that it jolted my inner-homo in ways that seemed overwhelming at the time. For those who don't know, I was an extreme closet-case for quite some time -- tortured and filled with demons that gripped the back of my neck like an evil monkey. I guess I can say that I identified with Eddie in the film (fitting ain't it?).


Last but definitely not least, I end my list of marvelous movies with a classic curtain call. When I think of classic Hollywood beauty, I think Bette Davis. When I ponder at what it is I find mesmerizing and enthralling in an actress, I think Bette Davis. Miss Davis had the rare ability to tell a story with a simple silent pause, all while emitting emotions that only she can deliver with such ease. It's all in her eyes folks. From What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? to All About Eve, my list... nay, her list, is endless. Bette Davis... we love you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Those are all great choices! Too wong foo and Addams Famly Values are 2 of my faveroite films.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kill Bill - ruled! I am actually wanting to go see GRINDHOUSE too, looks kind of dumb yes, but at the same time it looks fucking awesome!

5:51 PM  
Blogger alexgirl said...

Brilliant list. I LOVE Bette Davis. What Ever Happened To Baby Jane was such a messed up movie but i loved it.
I totally agree about Quentin Tarantino, too. Reservoir Dogs is gruesome but brilliant. What ever happened to Tim Roth? I can't wait to see QT's new movie Grindhouse--Rose McGowen with a machine gun for a leg? Fucking genus.

9:20 PM  
Blogger The Boob Lady said...

Ahh, Bette Davis Eyes.

Great movie list my dear!

I'm so glad you're back, I've missed you!!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

oh my god i am totally like that with certain movies. i have seen sabrina, the matrix and of course heathers over and over and over and over and over and OVER and well, you get the gist.
great list, j'aime bien bette davis. now i have an urge to go watch whatever happened to baby jane, i haven't seen it in years and i forget.
whatever DID happen to baby jane?
yeah that was beyond lame. but screw it, i'm all hopped up on caffeine and the like, it's not my fault my brain is short-circuiting.

10:22 PM  
Blogger WAT said...

HELL YES! KILL BILL IS TERRIFIC! PART TWO WAS SO HARCORE AND DISTURBING THO.

"Threesome" was a big favorite of mine in the 1990s. That is way cool to find out u liked it as much as I did. I had a crush on the gay character.

As for Bette Davis, WELL HELL MAN! ONE OF THE GREATEST OF ALL ACTRESSES PERIOD. I'm watching lots of her stuff lately. LOVE THAT BITCH. Did ya notice I had a pic of her decorating my blog for a good while not long ago?

5:31 AM  
Blogger Erika Tapalla said...

check out, Shortbus :) miss ya

4:00 PM  
Blogger M- Filer said...

I liked "Threesome" also and I am not even sure why. I think it was that Billy Baldwin ass shot.

Ever see "Longtime Companion". Excellent homo movie from the late 80's, you should see it.

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Travolta... oh how I have this perennial vision of him in those tight dancing flare legged 70's pants...who the hell could forget John Travolta... Queen, or not, HE COULD GET IT! lol

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home