THE MAVERICK LIFE

TAKE A RIDE INTO THE MIND OF A LATIN MAVERICK WHO ALWAYS GRABS LIFE BY THE HORNS.....

Sunday, February 22, 2009

MUSIC OR DEATH...

I live and breathe music. It pulses through my veins and stimulates the electrical currents that surge through the web of nerves in my body. Being tagged by the luscious Molly to list my 5 favorite albums of all time is a monumental task and one that I do not take lightly. To narrow my lust and obsession for music down to a measly selection of 5 albums is something I will only do for Miss Thang. How about 10? Here goes:

1. BACK TO BLACK
What do I say about my #1 pick. Besides expressing my undying love for Amy's music, I must say that my magnetic attraction to everything Winehouse is partly due to something that rings close to home, what with experiencing family members who've been affected by substance abuse. Amy's drug and alcohol problems have been well publicized and it pierces my heart to hear the crude, disrespectful remarks made towards someone so talented and who is battling the disease of addiction. Personal tragedy can produce some of the most genius of music. Back to Black and Wake Up Alone are examples of that. I love you Amy.


2. DEBUT
This wonderful Icelandic siren has been my musical life-line since her days in a not-so-little band called the Sugarcubes. In '93, Bjork exploded onto the electronic/dance scene and has since then evolved into a category all of her own. Big Time Sensuality remains my all-time favorite track co-produced and written by this esoteric songbird. Do not be fooled though. Bjork may be small in stature, when her family is threatened, like a cougar... she packs a necessary wallop.


3. LIKE A VIRGIN
Before Britney there was Madonna. For all the young folk who stagger to purchase a copy of Blackout and Circus, Madonna already has been there and done that. Nothing new kiddies. Madonna's Like a Virgin and Dress You Up remain unsurpassed. Take a look at her fashion and music genius. Her Madgesty remains unmatched. Her shoulders must be raw from all the little chickies standing on them. BTW, remember the Britney/Madonna kiss? It was inspired by this original performance on MTV in 1984... complete with floor humping.


4. MASTER OF PUPPETS
Many people may not know this but when I was a teenager (13-15) there was a fierce metal flame flickering in my titanium heart that craved speed metal music at its finest. Metallica set the standard and completely satisfied my hunger. This album personified my teen angst. Sanitarium and Master of Puppets meant and currently means much to me. The entire album is fantasmagoric.


5. BREATH FROM ANOTHER
This album completely guided me through some hard times back in the late 90's with its mood-enhancing music married to Esthero's entrancing voice. I religiously played this album continuously and soaked in every track from beginning to end. Superheroes and Breath From Another stand out among a slew of other gems neatly packed into one exquisite dish.


6. THE MISEDUCATION OF LAUREN HILL
Lauryn Lauryn Lauryn. Where for art thou Lauryn? Ms. Hill dropped this work of art and had artists in the U.S. and around the world clamoring for her to produce their next album. Today, Ms. Hill seems to have disappeared off the face of this earth. Maybe it was just meant to be. This album is music perfection with soul that oozes out of every corner of its packaging. Lost Ones and Doo Wop (That Thing) are examples of Lauryn's talented and misunderstood mind. I miss you Lauryn.


7. HOMOGENIC
Are you experiencing deja vu? Didn't he already list Bjork as one of his favorites you might ask? Allow me to explain. Bjork's first album (one of my selections above) was a masterpiece. Bjork's third album... another masterpiece. Simple as that. From the minute I pop in the disc and press play I find myself stimulated with a plethora of feelings. Any album that can evoke a hand-basket of perplexed emotions deserve to make it onto my list of all-time favorites. Take a listen to Hunter and Bachelorette. Enough said.


8. READY TO DIE
Many people dismiss rap as a genre that is plagued by violence and ignorance and therefore cannot be taken seriously in the world of music. I wholeheartedly disagree. Rap music tells a story. It doesn't sugar-coat its lyrics in order to be played on the top 100 billboard and it doesn't apologize for its brutal, in-your-face lyrics. The Notorious B.I.G was a lyrical genius who had a story to tell. Those who grew up in New York (and in Brooklyn no less) can appreciate Biggie's violent accounts of his personal experiences. Biggie slayed the competition with rhymes that remain unmatched. No disrespect, but Tupac who? For those brave enough, take a listen to Warning and Who Shot Ya.


9. ENTER THE WU-TANG 36 CHAMBERS
Out about the same time Biggie hit the rap scene in '94, Wu-Tang Clan, comprised of a group of talented East Coast rappers (The RZA, The GZA, Ol Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, Ghostface Killer and M.E.T.H.O.D MAN), went on an underground music spree and gained a reputation simply through word of mouth. No fancy marketing, no 15-foot billboards with their name on it. Simple word of mouth and gifted lyrical pen-to-paper rhymes led them to find a coveted spot on my list of favorites. Protect Ya Neck and Method Man will fuck-up your ear drums.


10. HONORABLE MENTION: CARPENTERS
My mother has always been an enormous influence on my taste in music and because of her, I have a great appreciation for the wonderful music that peppered the radio stations when I was a child. The Carpenters are one such group. Karen Carpenter, along with her brother Richard Carpenter, were an instrumental duo who had a soft musical style while rock bands of the same time were louder and wilder. Sadly, Karen later passed away after many years of battling anorexia. Karen's sometimes tormented, haunting voice can be heard in her music, most notably Rainy Days and Mondays. Although Karen is no longer with us, her music will always remind me of my carefree childhood days.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Great eclectic mix of music!

xo

2:39 PM  
Blogger RG said...

While getting my large colored tattoo, my ink artist had Metallica playing, full blast from his stereo speakers. Aaaaah - good times.

And kneel before the Goddess Madonna you bitches! :)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Princessa lil mexico said...

omg your like my twin...

1:30 AM  
Blogger WAT said...

Yeah man, I thought I had variety in my music tastes, but this takes the cake!

Amy Winehouse has such a terrific voice, it's just too damn bad she is so self-destructive, but alas...

Yeah, what did happen to Lauryn Hill? She just vanished!

Ya know what, THE CARPENTERS are so eerie and haunting, yet their songs are so beautiful. Karen Carpenter had the sweetest sounding vocals. Unfortunately of course, she couldn't stand the sight of food! My mom too used to like them a lot.

4:02 PM  
Blogger molly said...

ack im so sorry! i totally thoughti'd already commented on this -
i loooved your choices, and loved that you made the bold choice of putting a really recent album at number 1! and what a great choice - your review had me salivating for amy's voice and i had to throw some on (listening to "tears dry" right now!)
thank you so much for doing this tag, and i'll be posting soon i promise! in fact, i think my next post will have big exciting news :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Aren't you just fabulous, darling?! Your comment made me unbelievably happy - you are just fantastic!

I still think that Lauryn Hill has one of the most beautiful voices I have EVER heard in my life. Her talent is unbelievable. And Amy Winehouse - effed up, ohhh yes. Amazing voice, absolutely.

You my dear, are a gem, and I already adore you. And I'm glad we share a common love of James Franco. I LOVED Freaks and Geeks, which was why I was so excited for him and Rogen to reunite in Pineapple Express :)
Take care darling.

8:33 PM  
Blogger molly said...

thanks for checking in on me, amigo...i finally got my shiz together and posted again!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great list, but 2 albums from the same artist, tsk tsk, lol!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home