THE MAVERICK LIFE

TAKE A RIDE INTO THE MIND OF A LATIN MAVERICK WHO ALWAYS GRABS LIFE BY THE HORNS.....

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A SAD DAY IN AMERICA...

Sean Delonas, the despicable artist responsible for drawing this horrid cartoon, along with the New York Post, have hidden behind the horrific details of an event in Connecticut to traffic-in racist imagery and gratuitous violence in the name of parody. On February 18th, 2009, the Post printed the above cartoon in their newspaper which depicts two police officers shooting-down a chimpanzee.

I think we can all agree it is painfully obvious that this cartoon contains a clearly racist thread; intentional or not. Saying that there is a need to find someone new to write a stimulus bill after shooting said ape implies that only one person wrote the bill in the first place. The only person who might be considered solely responsible for that piece of legislation is President Barack Obama, who we all know is African American, ergo the chimp in the comic stands for Obama whether the artist "intended" it or not. Being that the stimulus bill has been the first legislative victory of President Obama (the first African American president) and has become synonymous with him, it is not a reach to wonder that they are indeed inferring that a monkey (Obama) wrote the bill.

Racists frequently refer to darker-skinned people as monkeys, apes, or some vulgar variation and specifically call black people chimps. Many racists are currently looking at this cartoon in exactly that way, as they chuckle and spew their atrocious reasoning behind the cartoon's supposed meaning. Sean Delonas is not guilty here of being funny, but of not thinking this cartoon through. In fact, perhaps thinking this through is EXACTLY what they (The Post) did after all. The Post is guilty of blind insensitivity for printing a cartoon depicting the shooting-down of the chimp who sadly attacked a woman and they are devilishly guilty of outright disrespect and racism clearly directed towards our President.

7 Comments:

Blogger RG said...

Dude, it's the NY Post! Did you expect anything different from a paper that had an editorial cartoon depicting gay men as having sex with sheep? It's owned by Rupert Murdock!

Just don't read that rag, or patronize their advertisers.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I think there are many sad days to come. In this day and age, you'd expect a change in the way we all think and react. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

When I heard about this I was so disgusted... Ignorant people like this make me sick.

I am proud to have a African American president... Whether he's just half or full any person with with culture descent and is trying to change the world for the better is an amazing role model for all of us. Sad to say that people like this still exist.

P. S. On a lighter note, even though you're not technically one of the girls you'd be more than welcome to come! Sorry I made you hungry, I made myself hungry when I was researching lol.

I am such a J.Lo fan, I love the girl. I actually have a painting that I did of her.. Actually it's of her in that outfit with the hat!

Aw, you're so sweet!

xo

9:20 PM  
Blogger Eddie said...

RG: You're absolutely right. You know, I was guilty many years ago for occasionally buying the paper just to read Page 6. Heaven help me.

Natty: The more things change, the more things do stay the same. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Mimi: Honey doll, let me tell you that when I logged off your blog, I stormed into my kitchen and devoured everything on the top shelf of my fridge. Yummo. You da bomb.

Besos everyone...

11:45 PM  
Blogger Connie Hsiu said...

wow, i know...it is pretty unbelievable...

5:36 AM  
Blogger Eddie said...

Connie: Welcome sweetz. I swear my posts aren't usually as depressing as this latest one. Besos!!

11:40 AM  
Blogger WAT said...

OOOOOOOOO WEEEEEEEEE!

What happens to this Sean Delonas now?! GULP!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home