Turning 21 is something to celebrate indeed. Today my Luscious Tiffany reached this monumental age and I have to say, not only did she look exquisitely ravishing today, but she also seemed to have risen a couple of notches in maturity and demeanor. Turning 21 is a time to reflect on the transition from mere underage frivolity to full-fledged adult. I've compiled 21 suggestions that I want to pass on to my Tiff Tiff in light of her reaching this marvelous age and I wish her the best birthday imaginable...
1. Learn to forgive. Hurtful things are going to happen to you. Learn to let it go. Carrying a grudge is like trying to climb Mount Everest with a boulder in your backpack. It weighs you down and holds you back.
2. Say "I love you" and say "I'm sorry." These really are the magic words. Learn when to say them, say them often, and mean it when you say them.
3. Open your eyes every morning like you are opening them for the first time. Look closely at the world around you and find your place in it.
4. Never stop learning. Whenever you can, turn off the television and pick up a book. Take a class. Learn another language. Try something new. Travel. Explore the world around you. Exercise your mind.
5. Use what you've learned. You came into this world as helpless as any creature could be. But, by now, you should have most of the tools you'll need to survive and thrive. Make good use of them.
6. Lose your ego. You won't miss it.
7. Ask questions and question the answers. Search for the answers and when you think you've found them, look again.
8. Just listen. Listen to music, to the birds and to the voices of people all around you. Listen to what they say and to what they aren't saying. Listen to the little voice inside you.
9. Never lose your self respect. It's the one thing you can take with you.
10. Hold a baby. Even if you never have one of your own, hold a baby in your arms now and then. Cradle them. Breathe the scent of a newborn. Think about the people who held you...
11. Practice gratitude. Look around you and count your blessings... and count them again.
12. Mind your manners. Make the world a kinder, gentler, place. And for heaven's sake chew with your mouth closed.
13. Learn the value of hard work. You don't have to be rich or famous or powerful. You don't have to play sports or be a movie star. Just do what you love and do it well.
14. Make friends but choose them carefully. Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Avoid those who want to drag you down.
15. Take a leap of faith. Sometimes, that's all you can do.
16. Give until it hurts. Spend time with those you love. Give a little back to those who need it more than you do.
17. Learn the difference between fashion and style. Fashion is what looks good at the moment. Style is what fits you forever.
18. Try something new. Don't be afraid of change. Break out of a rut. When you get too comfortable, stretch a little to see what happens.
19. Hold onto tradition. Hold onto your history by keeping at least one tradition alive. Cook your family's Vietnamese recipes. Your culture is your essence -- embrace it.
20. Reach out to touch someone. Hold a hand. Give a kiss. Hug someone who needs it.
21. Never forget. Remember that you are loved with a love that knows no bounds. Count on that.